Every season there are young players who are the verge of stardom in the NHL.
This season, all the attention is focused on Filip Forsberg (for good reason) but he is far from the only one.
1) Filip Forsberg. Forsberg is scoring at a better than a PPG pace with 9G 22P and +18 through 21 games. He’s easily the odds on favourite to win the Calder Trophy.
2) John Klingberg. Klingberg is a 22-year-old Swedish defenseman who spent the first few games of the season in the AHL getting used to the North American game. Since getting called up to the Dallas Stars, Klingberg has been channelling his Erik Karlsson…scoring 3 goals and 8 points in 8 games. Watch out for this guy…superstar.
3) Bo Horvat. Horvat is being brought along slowly by the Vancouver Canucks…he’s playing 4th line C minutes but is being counted on in critical situations and has been a defensive revelation. He’s also winning 62.6% of his face-offs. If his offence blooms…watch out.
4) Aaron Ekblad. The kid is playing almost 22 minutes a night for Florida and is on pace for a 50 point season. Some rookie.
5) Johnny Gaudreau. On pace for 60 points. A 4th round pick (yikes!)
6) Nick Bjugstad. Plays for one of the lowest scoring teams in the league but the Florida centre is on pace for 32 goals.
7) Tanner Pearson. Is on pace for 30+ goals. The Kings keep finding gems in their late draft position.
8) Brock Nelson (a 30th overall pick in 2010) is going supernova. (10G 20P in 22G) The 6’3″ 210 pound centre is outscoring Taylor Hall by a lot.
9) Watch out for Ryan Strome. The Islanders brought him along slowly but he is emerging. 17P in 22G.
10) Leon Draisatl should be back in junior. Brutal.
Oh fuck. TJ Brodie is just a fantastic hockey player. His D partner might be even better. (you had to watch the Flames/Shark game to know what I’m talking about)